Meth is just plain nasty stuff.
Why do I have this on our home inspection website? I am a certified first responder with the fire department on meth labs. I have seen first hand what meth does to individuals and families. Meth also has implication in the real estate industry and we should all be aware of the dangers of meth byproducts and meth houses.
Methamphetamines are synthetic amphetamines or stimulants that are produced and sold illegally in pill form, Methamphetamine is the devil’s drug capsules, powder and chunks. An amphetamine is a chemical that has stimulant properties similar to adrenaline. Like adrenaline, methamphetamines stimulate the central nervous system, and are extremely addictive. After the effects of meth wears off, it can cause severe withdrawal that is more intense and longer lasting than both speed and cocaine. Methamphetamines may be known as meth, crank, glass, speed, and crystal.
Many people may be unaware that they’re living near a meth lab. Here are some things to look for:
- Unusual, strong odors (like cat urine, ether, ammonia, acetone or other chemicals).
- Homes with windows blacked out.
- Renters who pay their landlords in cash. (Most drug dealers trade exclusively in cash.)
- Lots of traffic – people coming and going at unusual times. There may be little traffic during the day, but at night the activity increases dramatically.
- Excessive trash including large amounts of items such as: antifreeze containers, lantern fuel cans, red chemically stained coffee filters, drain cleaner and duct tape.
- Unusual amounts of clear glass containers being brought into the home.
- Presence of the following items could indicate the existence of a meth lab: Alcohol, Ether, Benzene, Toluene/Paint Thinner, Freon, Acetone, Chloroform, Camp Stove Fuel/Coleman Fuel, Starting Fluid, Anhydrous Ammonia, “Heet” White Gasoline, Phenyl-2-Propane, Phenylacetone, Phenylpropanolamine, Iodine Crystals, Red Phosphorous, Black Iodine, Lye (Red Devil Lye), Drano, Muriatic/Hydrochloric Acid, Battery Acid/Sulfuric Acid, Epsom Salts, Batteries/Lithium Sodium Metal, Wooden Matches, Propane Cylinders, Hot Plates, Ephedrine (over-the-counter) Cold Tablets, Bronchodialators, Energy Boosters, Rock Salt, Diet Aids.
If you suspect a meth lab in your neighborhood, contact your local police department
- Fast Facts About Methamphetamine
- No nonsense facts about Methamphetamine. Fact: Methamphetamine use among high school seniors more than doubled between 1990 & 1996. Fact: Every pound of meth produced leaves behind five to six pounds of toxic waste.
- Toxicity, Methamphetamine
- Toxicity of meth and amphetamines effecting the cardiovascular, central nervous and pulmonary systems.
- Skagit County Meth Page
- Video on Meth In Skagit County